With Domain Authority, you can study and evaluate the result of your digital marketing strategies. But what is Domain Authority about, how to check and improve it?
What is Domain Authority about?
Domain Authority (DA) is a metric that was developed by Moz. It predicts how likely a domain will appear in the Search Engine Page Results (SERPs) compared to its competitors. DA also refers to the number of relevant backlinks from other reputable sites your website has.
What is important to know is that Google doesn’t use Domain Authority as a ranking factor. So you can’t necessarily improve your ranking in the search engines. But DA is a good indicator where you can see the performance in relation to your competition.
Not only MOZ user this metric also different SEO tools like Semrush have their own Authority metric. It is an algorithm that uses data from backlinks, referring domains, search traffic, or other factors in deciding the Authority score.
While it isn’t an official ranking factor used by Google, it is still a helpful metric to know your site’s health in relation to your competitors. The metrics represent trustworthiness and authority, and with neural network and machine learning, it ensures it is accurate and fresh.
Domain authority is determined on a local scale, so solo metrics won’t always increase or decrease the score. Meaning the more important the metric is, the greater effect it most likely will have.
Some online businesses are authoritative without even trying because they naturally have relevant keywords on their websites. For example, the movie site IMDB has high DA because the right keywords are naturally integrated throughout the site.
When you have a better idea about why you are considered authoritative, you can optimize your website better.
Not only are keywords important, but also, with better backlinks, you get higher chances of increasing your DA.
What is a good domain authority score?
The Domain Authority search engine ranking score normally ranges from 1 to 100. A higher number improves the probability of better results in search engines. The SEO tool takes into account both the quality and quantity of likes a website receives.
When a page has backlinks from pages with high authority, such as Google, Wikipedia, newspapers, or governmental sites, it will probably score better.
Depending on the industry or the characteristic of such a website, it will more likely be useful to get the right backlinks.
So a training center may seek links from national newspapers and academic institutions. Local business websites like regional newspapers or industry magazines because these backlinks are more valuable to the target audience of the business even without high domain authority.
Determining good domain authority can be different for each business. It is important to analyze your top competitors and draws a conclusion for your own websites based on your ranking and the rankings of your competitors
How to check my Domain Authority
You can check your Domain Authority Website on different sites, including Moz or Semrush. Just enter your root admin URL (like hostcomp.net), and your site Authority will appear automatically.
The tools give other features such as showing the unique external linking domains, the number of unique pages that link to your site (Inbound links) as well the total number of keywords that your website is ranking within the top 50 positions on Google and many other metrics.
Other tools you can check your domain authority with:
- SEmrush domain authority has a machine learning algorithm that uses organic search, website traffic, and backlink data to understand the ranking of the most trusted and popular website. The second algorithm use backlink data to see how a website increase or decrease its authority by gaining links. The final score is measured in relation to the most authoritative websites.
- SEO Review Tools: is a basic domain authority checker which looks based on backlink quality and quantity, and your content. You can also see your website age and social media score, which shows how active your social profile is and how many shares your content gets.
- With Linkgraph’s Free Bulk DA Checker you can check several sites at once
The difference between Domain and Page Authority
Domain authority measures the probability of ranking in the Search engine results for the entire web domain. In comparison, page authority focuses on the probability of ranking each page individually.
You can see the performance of individual pages, such as blog posts or product pages. It helps you analyze which ones might need some fine-tuning to get a higher score
The page Authority metric gives you an idea of which pages need the most improvement for a more successful digital strategy.
How to Build Domain Authority?
Domain authority isn’t just about the total number of links to your site but the quality of these links, the ones that are relevant for understanding what your website is about.
strategies to build your domain Autrhiry:
- Relevant backlinks. It is better to have quality backlinks than thousand of irrelevant backlinks
- Check the quality of your backlinks by using the SEMrush backlink audit tool. Also, get rid of the toxic backlinks.
- Create quality content. This makes it easier to get natural backlinks.
- Focus on your targeted audience when you write content so it is attractive to them, which can make it go viral.
- Update your older content. Find the pages that have low authority scores and add new relevant information that interests the users.
- Identify your competition: research and analyze things that your competitors do that help them increase their website’s visibility.
- List your website on trusted directories like Google Business
- Study where your main competitors get backlinks from and find out if you can get similar ones
- Share your website content through other channels like social media or email marketing
Building domain authority is a long-term strategy because it takes time you most likely won’t see immediate results. But if you follow these practices, it can help you increase your website visibility in search engines and grow your website traffic.
Still more important for ranking is to focus on your website SEO that you create quality and relevant content and find the right keywords which you integrate into the text, header, and Meta Title and Meta description.